Travel News

Advertisement / Annons:

My travel in Europe:
island of Malta

One week by walk, bus, boat and car at island of Malta, 2018

Car tour to Western Coast, day 4:

Sliema:

Malta, Sliema

This sign about the floors that the elevator take us to was a bit confusing, up side down.

This day was special, our friend Maurice has offered us to take us around the western coast of Malta. We was very happy about that, if we shall had taken the local bus we could just have time to visit one of the places, now we could see most of them and we got our own private guide! Maurice and his wife came to our hotel and picked us up.

Dingli Cliffs:

Malta, Western coast

First stop on the western coast was the Mary Magdalene Chapel, it's just above the Dingle Cliffs.

Malta, Western coast

Malta, Western coast

The modern weather radar and the old light house.

Malta, Western coast

Malta, Western coast

Down there is the Dingli Cliffs.

Malta, Western coast

Advertisement / Annons:

Malta, Western coast

This part of Malta is much greener compare to the Eastern side.

Malta, Western coast

Maurice told us that this chapel did not protect people in here to be arrested for crimes in compare to what other chapels usually do, see the small sign to the right.

Ghar Lapsi:

Malta, Western coast

Down there in the grotto is a diving place. Along the road to this place we passed a reverse osmosis water plant (fresh water plant). Fresh water is a big problem nowadays at Malta.

Malta, Western coast

If I remember correct Maurice told us that these cactus fruits can be eaten and have a sweet taste.

Malta, Western coast

In earlier days Ghar Lapsi was a fishing village.

Malta, Western coast

Hagar:

Malta, Western coast

There are a lot of of very old temples at Malta, this one is the Hagar Qim Temple.

Malta, Western coast

In recent year they have built a tent over the temple to protect it.

Malta, Western coast

Malta, Western coast

Maybe people in ancient time travel from far to visit these temples. It looks like that the Mars rover has taken this photo.

Malta, Western coast

Not far away there is another temple, a long walkway lead us down to that place.

Malta, Western coast

Even this temple is protected by a tent. No one knows for sure, but this could have been used as an astronomy calendar, see, even a little bit astronomy on this travel too and more will come later.

Malta, Western coast

Malta, Western coast

The stones are very soft ant the rain and wind erode them down.

If you ever visit Malta these temples are something you must see!

Blue Grotto:

Malta, Western coast

After the temples we go more south and came to the Blue Grotto. A fabulous view meet us and I let the camera work. This is a mosaic of about twenty photos.

Malta, Western coast

There is possible to go by boat to this grotto.

Malta, Western coast

Around the corner there is another dramatic cliff.

Marsaxlokk:

Malta, Marsaxlokk

Here we have come to the most south part of Malta, the fishing village Marsaxlokk.

Malta, Marsaxlokk

We was invited for a lunch here and enjoyed it a lot.

Malta, Marsaxlokk

Malta, Marsaxlokk

If we had know of this beauty earlier we had book a two night stay hotel room here. Maybe if we visit Malta once more we can do it.

After this fabulous car tour around the island Maurice invite us to do a visit at his home. Now you maybe wonder how I came in contact with Maurice? It was because of my astronomy hobby. Maurice has built an observatory on top of his house and wrote about it on a forum, from that we came in contact with each other.

I will tell you more about his fantastic observatory at this page:

We thank a lot to Maurice and his wife Marie Therese to have given us this fantastic day!

Valletta:

Malta, Valletta

We took the bus after this to Valleta, we want to see the Saint John's Co-cathedral or Kon-Katidral.

Malta, Valletta

A short walk down to the ferry to Sliema.

Sliema:

Malta, Valletta

We didn't have to wait long for the ferry. The evening light is in the golden hour.

Malta, Valletta

Back to balcony again at our hotel, what a day!

Go Back to content

Go Back
To day 5: Goza

Advertisement / Annons: