Twitter @AstrofriendLars

Follow Astrofriend

Travel News

Advertisement / Annons:

My travel in Europe:
Lanzarote, island of Spain, 2020

Content:

Day IV: Walk to the airport and public bus to Jardin de Cactus:

We have read that people go to the airport for watching the airplanes start and landing. You can stay at the end of the airport and get a really closeup view. That will be our first thing to do today. After that we plan to catch a public bus and go to the Jardin de Cactus garden. Follow us for a new and exiting day at Lanzarote.

Google Map over today's walk and bus tour:

Today's walk and public bus tour, 60 km.

Puerto del Carmen:

One week at Lanzarote, Spain 2020

Just outside our hotel we have this ice cream house. Good because it's easy to see when we shall get of the bus when on way back.

The distance to the airport is only 6 km, but shall we walk the road or is it possible to walk on the beach ? Here we looking to the other direction, that's where we did the beach walk two days ago. We could follow the beach or cliffs most of the way we walked.

We start walking along the beach in direction to the airport, close to the sea the sand is hard and very easy to walk on. Lot of nice things to look at and take photos of. Some people said when they heard we walked to the airport, why didn't you take the bus ? But we like like to walk on the beach !

On distance we see a fisher man and his boat, but we couldn't see if he got any fish.

Oh ... , we are not alone !

We are now close to the tourist office that we shall visit two days later.

This part of the beach was difficult to walk at and we walk up to the street and continue there.

The street is only one way direction and there is also a bicycle road. The same street as we stay at.

Advertisement / Annons:

Back down to the beach again. We didn't meet very much people, to early maybe, but the sunbeds are ready and waiting for them.

The first glimpse of what we looking for today, an aircraft landing. Still some kilometers to walk until we come to the airport.

Playa de los Pocillos:

All the sand on this island is told to come from Sahara's desert by the wind. The beach we are walking on is the Playa de los Pocillos, one of the biggest we saw on this vacation.

Playa Matagorda:

These small towers we see a lot of, we were not sure what the purpose of them was, maybe only to catch tourists.

We climb up the tower to get a better view. We see another aircraft landing, we are much closer now. It's hot today and we visit a cafe for a coffee and a smoothie. The waitress say, mi mira tu, I have just started to learn Spanish, but I know mira was something like look. Ah... she meant that see saw us yesterday on another cafe. When I told we were from Sweden she got surprise, she thought that we were Germans. She told she was Danish and started to talk Danish, but it was much more difficult to understand than English. But she said that she had stayed at Lanzarote for 27 years, she looked very happy to meet us.

Mirador de Acercamiento:

Now we are just around the corner to the airport. We see a lot of people on distance watching the planes landing.

Here it come ! That was close !

We walk even closer so we stood only ten meters from the runway, another plan come, this time starting. How far up can it be, 100 meters ? I didn't need a tele zoom for this photo.

We staid here for one hour and looking at the plans landing and starting.

Playa de Guasimeta:

Here is a plan starting in the other direction, it's not very windy today so they can start in both directions.

On distance we see the capital city, Arrecife. The high building to the right is the only one on this island.

Playa de Matagorda:

Playa Honda:

We have passed by many beaches now, we felt both tired and hungry. Find a nice restaurant to sit down at and take something to eat.

I got to practice my Spanish: 'una copa vino tinto y una copa vino blanco y una pizza, por favor', believe it or not, but we got what we think I ordered ! Ocean view and a pizza to shear, that was exactly what we needed !

Enough with walks now, we want to find a bus that could take us to Jardin de Cactus. We asked a couple, I think they were Italians, were to find a public bus. They did not have any experience by the busses but they try to explain for us. After some minutes they offer to take us by car, but we explained: Oh no, we like go by public busses !

After we talked to people and consulting our map and internet we find that we need to take three busses to come to Jardin de Cactus. Here we have stopped to change to another bus, in the middle of Arrecife. We only take it for a short ride and then change bus once again. It was our only visit to the capital city.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Arrecife:

On the way to the garden we pas the city Teguise. That place we will come back to on Sunday, there is a market here that day. On the volcano summit we see a fortress, it's also a pirate museum we got to learn later.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Teguise:

Jardin de Cactus:

At last we had come to the Garden of Cactus, when calculation on how much we spent on the public bus we sum up to 13 Euro, and then we shall go back home also. Almost 25 Euro for two people, it take 40 Euro to rent a car one day.

It's now 4:10 pm and they will close at 6:15 pm. But we must catch the bus back home 5:20 pm so we have to hurry. We bought two tickets or as they say: 'dos boletos, por favor', it cost 6 Euro each and then we enter the garden.

Oh ... this is big !

Only one hour left so we rush down to see all the cactus plants.

There are so many and almost all of them are new to me.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Jardin de Cactus:

Is this really a cactus ? yes !

They also have a cafe here, but we didn't have the time to stay. We move on to look at the cactus plants we have left.

Just a week before this travel I bought a new lens to the camera, a 24 - 70 mm zoom, I bought it used. It has a really good macro which I didn't expect. That was not the main reason I bought it, but nice to have.

There is an old wind mill in one corner of the park. We walked towards it to see what it is.

From the wind mill we got a view over the ocean, not far away.

These stones comes from the wind mill. We think they got Aloe vera from the cactus plants here. Famous for its medicinal use.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Aloe vera:

That was the last cactus, now we have to rush out to take the bus back home.

Waiting for the bus outside, we had to wait 15 minutes and we had not have to leave the garden so quickly. But we didn't want to miss the bus, if, than we had to wait another 90 minutes to the next one. Most people looks to have come to this place by car. We like to travel by the public busses, we meet more of the local people and get more of the culture.

Back to our favorite restaurant where we stay. This time I ordered a bruschetta plate with chees and tomato, it was delicious !

Go Back to content

Go Back
Day V: By car to Jameos del Aqua, Cueva de los Verdes, Orzola, Mirador del Rio

Advertisement / Annons: