Follow Astrofriend

Travel News

Advertisement / Annons:

My travel in Europe:
From Stockholm to
Germany and Austria by car, 1988

Content:

Planning our car travel through Germany and Austria:

My friend Lars from work and his girlfriend talked about a long vacation by car and visit Germany and Austria. They asked me if I wanted to join them, of course I did ! His girlfriend Carina who worked at a travel agency at that time draw the plan and which places to visit. Two main things that we must do was to drive the road Romantishe Strasse and to visit Vienna. This is from the pre era of digital cameras, not that many photos what are we used with today.

Google Map over Southern Sweden:

Through Sweden we had more than 560 km to drive.

Part 1: From Stockholm to Helsingborg:

Helsingborg Sweden:

We try to drive through Sweden as quickly as possible, only one stop and stay in Jönköping.

By car from Stockholm in Sweden to Germany and Austria, 1988

The day after we drive the car at high road and came to Helsingborg. From here we take the ferry over to Denmark. Before we drive onboard the ferry we take a stop and look at this, it's not a fortress, just a staircase.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Helsingborg:

In those days there where no bridge between Sweden and Denmark. But there where plenty of ferries between the Swedish city Helsingborg and the city Helsingör in Denmark. The ferries only take 30 minutes to cross the sea. As you see, our vacation started with fine weather, it's August.

After we had arrived to Helsingör we drive at high pace through Denmark and come to a new ferry in Rödby. That ferry take us to Puttgarden in Germany. From Puttgarden we take Autobahn, high speed driving, never driven a car that fast before, speeds up to 180 km/h and it was legal.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Autobahn:

Google Map over Germany:

Map over the roads we follow in Germany, first part, 1100 km to drive.

It start to be late and we make a stop. I don't remember which town this was, maybe between Hamburg and Hannover in Northern Germany. We didn't drive very far the first day in Germany.

Wurzburg:

We get up early in the morning, get breakfast and start driving on Autobahn again.

At last, we have arrived to Wurzburg where our real vacation starts, this is the beginning of Romantishe Strasse, a famous road in Bavaria of Southern Germany. It's about 400 km long and something they started marketing in the 1950s to get more tourists to Germany.

We are standing in front of the fortress Marienberg. It was originally built between the 16th and 18th century. I can read that our Swedish king Gustav II Adolf conquered this place 1631. Later the castle was bombed during the WW II and rebuilt as recent as 1990. That is two years after our visit. Through the city flows the river Main.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Marienberg Fortress:

The tower inside the fortress. It's really nice to relax after the fast driving through Sweden, Denmark and Germany. It's the first time for me to visit Germany so it's very exiting.

Carina drawing the details of the plans for today and tomorrow and explain for Lars J how to drive. Romantische Strasse is one important part of that. We both has the name Lars so I call him Lars J and me Lars K. At this place we got something to eat too.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Romantic Road:

In the evening we take a walk and cross the bridge over the river Main, looking back and get this view over the fortress.

At Wikipedia you find more information about Wurzburg:

Advertisement / Annons:

After Wurzburg we follow Romantische Strasse and do a short stop or passing by following old cities. For sure it had been interesting to take a walk in all these cities, but not time enough. I have collected some links here where you can have a look if you have plans to go by car in Southern Germany:

Holzkirchen

Tauberbischofsheim

Lauda-Königshofen

Bad Mergentheim

Röttingen

Creglingen

Rothenburg ob der Tauber:

At Rothenburg we make a longer stop.

Up in the tower we have a wonderfully view over the village. I think it's the tower of the town house we are standing at.

It's really high and many stairs with many steps.

We are looking out over Rothenburg founded 950, lot of years history. It's a small city with narrow streets, we had to park the car outside the defense walls.

I don't remember if we stayed over night here, but almost all stays we made on this travel was on private Bed & Breakfast. Really like it, in Sweden it much more expensive and more difficult to find, here we just looked for the sign B&B on the houses (this was thirty years ago, today we have smartphones to find the B&B places).

At Wikipedia you find more information about Rothenberg:

After Ruthenburg we drive in a fast pace and passing by some new small old cities:

Feuchtwangen

Dinkelsbuhl

Nördlingen

Donauwörth

Augsburg

I think we stopped here for a moment, but didn't take any photos. It was not like the digital camera era when you take hundreds of photos. We didn't want to drive through Munchen because of the traffic and we stayed on the small (and nicer) roads.

Now when we left the Romnatische Strasse we miss the last old cities, but we take some of them on the way home one week later.

Friedberg, Bavaria

Landsberg am Lech

Schongau, Bavaria

Steingaden

Fussen

One more stay before we leave Germany and heading for Austria.

Rosenheim:

Today we have driving through more of the beautiful small cities and villages in Southern Germany. Next stop is planned to be in Salzburg, a city in Austria. This place is just before the border where we stay for the night. Lars J bought a camera tripod mount to be able to take night time photos.

More to read about Rosenheim at Wikipedia:

Go Back to content

Go Back
Part 2: Austria

Advertisement / Annons: